[Soc-2014-dev] Weekly Report #02 - Viewport FX III

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 15:32:12 CEST 2014

Jason's API already includes an vertex-array-like abstraction which can be
used to make draw calls more efficient. So it's really OK to have the
immediate mode-like API first and then eliminate those as time passes.
There are lots of optimization we could do in that code, such as decreasing
the number of draw calls, state changes etc, but this, we could in theory
already do now.

Doing such optimizations after the merge of the branch won't be any less
frustrating because it is more tied to how we treat drawing in general in a
patch-in-where-needed manner instead of trying to group drawing operations
together to eliminate the number of vertex batch calls or relying on
material management to eliminate the number of state changes etc.
​