[Soc-2014-dev] Weekly Report #10 BGE Cleanup & SUpport

brita britalmeida at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 04:02:28 CEST 2014

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Brita/GSoC_BGE_cleanup_and_support/reports/week10

== This Week ==
The plan for this week was to wrap up the scene graph: 2-3 bugs left in the
tracker and pending questions from the mailing list; and to start looking
at physics bugs and code.

   - I spent easily about 1/3 of my time just communicating: replying to
   emails, the tracker, the mailing lists and following up news.
   - scene graph: I reviewed some parts of the code, cleaning up comments
   and style.

Then I picked the first bug with a problematic parent transform ->
https://developer.blender.org/T33512. I reviewed more parts of the code
looking for a wrong matrix multiplication.. something transposed (because
the GE math library is misaligned with the rest of blender and OpenGL)...

I found the math library used for the ge rather ill suited for the job. I
reviewed my math concepts, as it is the second day with the bug already. I
asked for help, and here I have very positive feedback with sergey helping
me a lot plus bastien, campbell and joshua leung all discussing the problem.

Turns out that the way the ge does the hierarchical transform math -
component wise instead of with direct matrix multiplication - will always
lead to this kind of problems. It needs to be all changed, and that is not
a quick task, specially if merged with replacing the math library.

So I spent 3 days with this problem, plus some time to document it, because
I have no time left on my soc to solve it.

The scenegraph developer documentation is basically finished.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Brita/GSoC_BGE_cleanup_and_support/doc/sg
I moved there the rest of the questions I posted on the mailing list early
in the week. Aligorith was very helpful with a fast complete response, but
then I am lacking feedback from someone from the gameengine side.

The documentation has a 'questions' and 'problems' section including the
problems above with the transform and the math library. I also made a [
https://developer.blender.org/T41184 related task] on phabricator, I am
still trying out the best way to coordinate/communicate.

   - I had no time left to start the physics (just read some more things).
   - The input bug from last week: putting it into a [
   https://developer.blender.org/T41181 new design task].
   - My branch is undergoing review and it should be merged soon.
   - I updated wiki with the end term goals and planning.
   http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Brita/GSoC_BGE_cleanup_and_support
   I have basically 2 weeks left, because, for the pencils down week, I will
   be at Siggraph. Also, there is a trello now:
   https://trello.com/b/zGrx7vKo/blender-gsoc-2014-bge-support-and-cleanup

In short, goals are scene graph, physics, less bugs and more documentation.

After this week, I can no longer do the scene graph *and* the physics. I
had not considered that the scenegraph problems could take so much time to
solve. Most bugs in the tracker are either invalid or really difficult/time
consuming to solve :( I decide for the physics, because it would yield more
results as there is currently no maintainer.

'''General Development'''

   - Scene Graph cleanup: {{GitCommit|88f2b48}}, {{GitCommit|86d8f10}},
   {{GitCommit|8468a28}}, {{GitCommit|514c53e}}, {{GitCommit|52d2099}}

'''Fixed (Reported)'''

None

'''Fixed (Unreported)'''

None

'''Closed / Archived / Invalid'''

   - {{BugReport|30082}} - Wrong blf font resolution with non-standard
   focal length/orthographic scale

Total: 0 fixed, 1 closed

== Next Week ==

   - tackle the physics bugs in the tracker. There are currently 46.
   - start working on the physics documentation and demo files.

--
Inês Almeida