[Soc-2014-dev] Weekly Report #8 BGE Cleanup & Support

brita britalmeida at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 03:28:59 CEST 2014

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Brita/GSoC_BGE_cleanup_and_support/reports/week9

== This Week ==

   - bug tracker: 6 closed
   - scene graph: more cleanup commits, I have sent an email with some
   generic doubts and kept updating the documentation page:
   http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Brita/GSoC_BGE_cleanup_and_support/doc/sg
   - physics: I spent 2 days looking at bullet code and documentation and
   clearing doubts with Sergej Reich. I find this time I took for
   understanding things very helpful and I now have an overview of how things
   work (would it be useful to make a doc for this too?) Most of my insight
   came from a presentation from Erwin Coumans:
   http://www.multithreadingandvfx.org/course_notes/GPU_rigidbody_using_OpenCL.pdf

The paper describes his latest work to optimize the rigid body pipeline. In
short, Erwin already refactored and included several optimizations in the
bullet 2.x code (which Blender is using). The 3.x version is not yet
complete and is a full re-write to run on OpenCL. It is supposed to be
quite fast, capable of simulating 100 thousand rigid bodies in real time.
It is a complete re-write because the previous algorithms and data
structures did not translate well to parallel computing. Bullet 3.x follows
different philosophies, it is written in C and not C++ and the API is more
limited. All this makes it sound difficult (and early) to make the jump
from 2.x to 3.x

   - bge developer meeting - the meeting's goals will be to report back and
   decide short term goals only. We will merge this with the regular weekly
   meeting.
   - I also spent one full day with an input bug that I did not yet fix.

'''General Development'''

   - Scene Graph cleanup: {{GitCommit|bf51d62}}, {{GitCommit|5ba18bc}},
   {{GitCommit|079e729}}

'''Fixed (Reported)'''

None

'''Fixed (Unreported)'''

None

'''Closed / Archived / Invalid'''

   - {{BugReport|19714}} - get/setChannel() with multiple actions bug
   [2.49b]
   - {{BugReport|38320}} - MAC Standalone Blendplayer Shuts Down
   - {{BugReport|40990}} - Full Crash of Blender Game engine without any
   message
   - {{BugReport|41069}} - Text Alignment doesn't work as expected.
   - {{BugReport|41030}} - bug blender game
   - {{BugReport|41037}} - Dynamic texture refresh cpu performance problem

Total: 0 fixed, 6 closed

== Next Week ==

   - tackle the physics bugs in the tracker (now that I spent some time
   understanding the basics). There are currently 46 to choose from.
   - keep up with the scene graph

---
Inês Almeida