[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #1 Motion Tracking

Joseph Mansfield sftrabbit at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 18:04:16 CEST 2013

=This week=

On the first day, I was a little unsure of where I was heading yet, so I
spent the day getting up to speed with recent mailings, started making
notes, bookmarking useful information, etc. Just admin work. I also synced
my branch with the trunk - my very first commit. Spoke with Keir in the
evening. We agreed that it'd be nice to tackle the work in small chunks
rather than one big commit at the end. That's better for me as I can
gradually get used to everything.

Then I got my first task: add constraints to the focal length for bundle
adjustment. The user should be able to specify minimum and maximum
constraints on the camera focal length and the bundle adjuster will only
optimize within this range. This requires changes to the UI, libmv, and
interfacing with Ceres. Of course, to begin this, I had to learn a lot
about the Blender architecture. So for two or so days I was reading through
the source and learnt about a number of things, including: DNA, RNA, python
UI, operators, notifiers, spaces, the window manager, jobs, etc. Making
notes, diagrams, and code traces helped a lot. :)

The plan was to try and get it done for today, but unfortunately some
things cropped up so I haven't had enough time. I'll work on it some more
over the weekend. It's been very fun.

=Next week=

This weekend I'm going to be writing something similar to this report on my
GSoC wiki page (with a little extra detail) and writing up my schedule.
I'll also get some more of the first task done so it'll hopefully be ready
for code review on Monday or Tuesday.

Once that is done, I'll talk with Keir more about where to head next and
how it'll lead towards my main targets.

=Questions=

No questions at the moment that I haven't already asked. :)

Joseph Mansfield