[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #1 Threaded Dependency Graph

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 16:39:20 CEST 2013

Hi,

Originally project sounds as threaded object update for dependency graph,
but seems it was extended.

= This week =

>From the code side only one thing is done: removed static and global
variables from meta balls and curves code, essential for all ways of
dealing with threaded depsgraph.

And then run into lots of design limitations which weren't so much
difficult to solve for current "feature set", but which was expected to
solve in a way ultimate feature set is possible.

This ended up in lots of discussions in IRC which just made me being
completely unsure what actually to do.

Here's a wiki page with current proposal coming from Ton with cons/pros and
possible ways to solve cons:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Nazg-gul/GSoC-2013#Thoughts_About_Design

Still not sure "copy everything" is a nice idea, needs more tech specifics
aspect of this approach, not limit to generalish discussions how easy it is.

= Next week =

There're some things appeared in the design discussions which would be nice
to implement anyway (which is locked rendering and threaded modifier stack).

And hope we'll finally find an ultimate way to go, which wouldn't smell
like a deadeand from any of aspects.

= Questions =

Basically, only one question: which way to go.

Report is getting too long at this point, so wrapping around now.

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin