[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #6 Cycles Volume Texturing

Rafael Campos rafaelcdn at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 08:52:50 CEST 2013

=== This Week ===
 - Fixed the tbb include problem, and now OpenVDB compiles in Blender on
both Windows and Mac;
 - Had to refactor the openvdb_volume class in a such a way as for all
references to any OpenVDB object to be restrained to the cpp file so we
could avoid the typeid() problems (OpenVDB uses it, OSL kernel must disable
it).
 - This week was particularly interesting since Brecht and I were able to
meet in person and attend the OpenVDB sessions at Siggraph, which led to
some interesting decisions:
  a) despite disadvantages, we believe we'll need to keep OpenVDB in
extern/ instead of keeping the library out of Blender, since there are
compatibility issues between versions, as documented
here<http://www.openvdb.org/documentation/doxygen/faq.html#sVersionNumbering>
;
  b) we'll get the 3d textures to a fully functional state in this project,
but its usability will be impaired by the large body of work to be done on
the shading part of the volume rendering pipeline, so after having textures
working properly we are likely to invest more time in having a more general
volume representation for use with Cycles.

Additionally, I intend to have basic texture lookup functional during this
weekend.

=== Next Week ===
Having texture lookup working, will begin (1) coding the Cycles node for
volume texture, and (2) get a dataset from Smoke simulation and store it as
a VDB volume for value lookup using our structure.

=== Questions ===
None at this time.