[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #6 Paint Tools

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 21:50:22 CEST 2013

What you did this week:
===================
* I have implemented line strokes as warmup for getting the feel of the
changes needed for the more complex curve strokes.
* Bug fixing and stabilization of features.

Currently I am in the process of thinking about gradient and bucket fill
operations. These are straightforward for 2d painting but may require some
more work for the projective case. Of course, none of the two operations
are really useful until a selection scheme is implemented. This will have
to wait for about 1-2 weeks though.

I also hope to catch up with some work during the weekend.

Next week
===============
Curved strokes themselves will be implemented. If all goes well I will
start investigation on selection mechanisms for painting systems.
A "canvas" may be necessary here, paving the road for a future layer system.

 Questions
The greatest difficulty for curved strokes is the user interface itself. It
is possible to define curves as objects already, but selecting a curve and
pressing "stroke" or something similar, feels somewhat alien to a paint
system. I was contemplating a modal operation that let the user define the
curve during the stroke and possibly store it as a datablock internally for
future use. A way to select older datablocks would be nice here too. It is
still awkward though. Any opinions on this are welcome. I am going to ask
on blenderartists too.