[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly report #6 UI Replay

Vincent Akkermans vincent at ack-err.net
Fri Jul 26 19:08:48 CEST 2013

== This Week ==
This week I mostly spent coding. I've implemented:
Added shortcuts to buttons (can be enabled or disabled from python)
Double height buttons (can be set from python)
New icons and icon only buttons
Implemented a new Object and Edit mode toolbar and some extra panels
Removed operator redo panel
Right click menu has been extended with operator defaults.
Implemented a button for closed panels that show the panel's buttons in a popup.

Apart from coding I made some new mockups for the toolbar (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ack-err/GSoC_2013/Toolbar_Designs_2) (most of which has now been implemented).
== Next Week ==
Next week I'll be working with Ton at the Blender foundation for some days and it will likely be a week of planning the next months as well as continuing work on the toolbar.
== Questions ==
How do I properly removed old regions from a .blend file? I've managed to get something working, but I'm not sure this is the way in which it's supposed to be done.
Is it possible to pass RNA pointers to operators through its properties? It seems this isn't possible because the PointerRNA doesn't have all the setter/getter functions that PropertyPointerRNA does.
The operator defaults that can be set on a button's right click seemed like a good idea, but I've found it to be problematic. Because it is only available for toolbar buttons it isn't available for all operators. Perhaps an extra button "make default" in the F6 panel is more natural.
The operator defaults are now saved in a wmOperator linked to by the wmOperatorType. This isn't a good solution and I would like to discuss with someone what would be the best way of doing this. Currently there is a memory leak here. I thought I could clean up the wmOperator on some sort of popup close callback, but I can't readily see how to do this.

I've made a fair few changes that are all over the place, so another pair of experienced eyes to go over them would be welcome.