[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #4 Threaded Dependency Graph

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 22:29:59 CEST 2013

Hi,

= This week =

Most of the time was spent on solving crappyness going around object-data
level biunding box. Issue is caused by the fact that object-update modifies
object-data, which is bad. Also for curves bounding box was calculating in
non-acceptable for threaded update way.

* Workaround for crash caused by threaded dupligorup update (needed for
now, real fix will come within few days)
* Removed unused bounding box from MetaBall
* Tag object-data level boundbox as invalid rather than freeing it
* Solved crash with threaded update of font objects
* Moved curve's boundbox and texspace calculation out of modifier stack
* Added an operator to match texture space to object's bounding box (needed
at leats for now, we'll figure out which tools are the best to have after
changed made for curve's bounding box)
* Did some tests with granular updates. Namely tested stuff like bounding
box calculation for curves and meshes (used this task just for example).
Such things fit scheduler pretty well and i'm happy with this.
* Worked on making VBOs safe for threading. Patch is not in svn yet, it was
revieweing and need to finish some thing first.
* Also worked on making metaballs even more thread-safe, namely was trying
to drop static variables BKE_scene_base_iter_next. I did this but it ended
up ThreadVariables (TLS) are not available in OSX 10.6. So reverted all
this changes (trunk is safe, and for the branch we'll figure out better way
to solve the issue).

Also worked on trunk a bit:

* Fix #36042: Subdividing a cyclic spline shifts start/end points
* Fix #36076: Metaballs as particles with particle texture (size influence)
crashes Blender
* Get rid of global originmat matrix from object.c (smells it'll be helpful
for threaded update as well)

= Next week =
* Would need to figure out how to deal with dupligroups (currently there's
some nsty code, which doesn't seem to be needed), Joshua's feedback would
be needed here. We'll talk in IRC. (This is indeed remained from the last
week).
* If i wouldn't finish VBOs work over weekend, will do it next week.
* Will look into local graphs for renderer and viewport.

= Questions =
Nothing to be mentioned in this report.

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin