[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly report #3 Cycles nodes

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Fri Jul 5 15:00:47 CEST 2013

Hi,
here my report for week 3:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:DingTo/GSoC_2013/Weekly_Reports/Week3

= Week 3 =

== What I did this week ==
* I finished the Vector Transform node, which is now working in both
SVM/OSL, and it behaves identical. It took me some time to learn about
the Transform matrices we have (especially the Object space transform
case) but after some explanation by Brecht in IRC I understood the
concept behind it.

* I also added two new nodes (as additional task), which have been
requested by some artists: Separate / Combine HSV nodes. They are inside
my branch as well. Screenshot: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=54828

* I started with the Ray Depth feature, and I have looked into 2
different ways of implementing it:
** Ray Depth output inside the Light Path node. This way, we can get the
current bounce (0, 1, 2...) as info output for the shader nodes.
WIP patch: http://www.pasteall.org/43776/diff
Example render: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=54930
Here we use the Ray Depth output (0 and 1 in this example) to apply
different materials, and this way we see where we have a bounce and
where only direct lighting is used. However, there are some weird
artefacts, not sure what's going on here yet.

** Per shader bounce limiter. With this method, we can limit the ray
bounces to an object on a per shader level, instead of only globally for
the entire scene.
WIP patch: http://www.pasteall.org/43779/diff
Example render: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=54931
Here we have 3 spheres with a glass shader and (from left to right) 1, 2
and 3 max bounces set per shader.

== Next week ==
I still have an exam next week, so will spend some time on preparations
again. As I am done with all my nodes though, which was my goal for the
first half of GSoC, I am far ahead in schedule.

I will keep working on the Ray depth feature next week and hopefully
have a better implementation then.

== Questions ==
Mainly about the Ray Depth feature, am I on the right track with these
or would another way of implementing them be better? And why do I have
these artefacts with the feature as part of the Light Path node?

Best regards,
Thomas

--
Thomas Dinges