[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #10 - Cycles Volume Texturing

Rafael Campos rafaelcdn at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 15:54:11 CEST 2013

=== This Week ===
Previously, I had already been able to successfully perform a lookup on an
OpenVDB texture, and partially show it on the viewport.

The problem was rendering would stop when the IDE crashed (and it always
did), and Blender would shut down.

The code I had was not thread-safe, and despite having set Threads to
Fixed: 1 for Cycles, for preview, more than one thread got involved, and
that led to problems.

So this week I asked Brecht for help, and he showed me most of the problems
I had. I forcefully set preview to use one thread only on
intern/cycles/blender/addon/__init__.py so I could get the render to
finish, and corrected a few allocation errors.

As a result, every scene now renders ok, with no crashing. It is, however,
slow.
Moreover, I'm currently using my own implementation of nearest neighbor, a
very trivial interpolation technique that makes the image look somewhat
blocky. This is what I'll tackle next.

=== Next Week ===
Priorities this week are making the code multi-threaded for texture lookup,
and using other interpolation algorithms. The OpenVDB library already
offers the most important ones (trilinear and triquadratic) that might
suffice for our needs - I'll use their version first.

=== Questions ===
None at this time.

Regards,
Rafael.