[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly report #9 Cycles nodes

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Sat Aug 17 18:10:19 CEST 2013

Hi Brecht,
thanks for the input, this helped me to understand the code. :)

I commited a WIP now to my branch, works with SVM on CPU and GPU so far.
See commit mail for open questions.
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2013-August/058341.html

Best regards,
Thomas

Am 17.08.2013 02:43, schrieb Brecht Van Lommel:
> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 12:23 AM, Thomas Dinges <blender at dingto.org
> <mailto:blender at dingto.org>> wrote:
>
>     I checked on some implementations of the new model.
>     * [https://github.com/githole/Skydome/blob/master/skydome.c Simple
>     implementation] which calculates every pixel and outputs an image.
>     * Mitsuba renders the Sky to an HDR map internally and uses this.
>
>     So basically I would appreciate some starting points on how to
>     approach
>     this. Use the model data? Separate code into precalc and svm
>     evaluation
>     again?
>

> Looking at the code, I would do a precomputation and then implement
> arhosek_tristim_skymodel_radiance +
> ArHosekSkyModel_GetRadianceInternal in OSL and SVM. It actually looks
> very similar to the code we have already. The precomputed data in
> ArHosekTristimSkyModelState is 30 floats so that's not very big, only
> a tiny amount of data is extracted from those 66kb.
>
> For SVM you can store that in the same place I guess, 30 floats isn't
> much more than the 20 we store there now. For OSL you can also do
> precomputation, knowing the OSL internals better now I don't think
> that it would actually be capable of doing it for this code. You can
> pass the precomputed data as float array parameters to the shaders.
>
> Brecht.

Thomas Dinges
Blender Developer, Artist and Musician

www.dingto.org