[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly report #9 Cycles nodes

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sat Aug 17 02:43:37 CEST 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 12:23 AM, Thomas Dinges <blender at dingto.org> wrote:

> I checked on some implementations of the new model.
> * [https://github.com/githole/Skydome/blob/master/skydome.c Simple
> implementation] which calculates every pixel and outputs an image.
> * Mitsuba renders the Sky to an HDR map internally and uses this.
>
> So basically I would appreciate some starting points on how to approach
> this. Use the model data? Separate code into precalc and svm evaluation
> again?

Looking at the code, I would do a precomputation and then implement
arhosek_tristim_skymodel_radiance + ArHosekSkyModel_GetRadianceInternal in
OSL and SVM. It actually looks very similar to the code we have already.
The precomputed data in ArHosekTristimSkyModelState is 30 floats so that's
not very big, only a tiny amount of data is extracted from those 66kb.

For SVM you can store that in the same place I guess, 30 floats isn't much
more than the 20 we store there now. For OSL you can also do
precomputation, knowing the OSL internals better now I don't think that it
would actually be capable of doing it for this code. You can pass the
precomputed data as float array parameters to the shaders.

Brecht.