[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #9: Cycles Motion Blur

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Fri Aug 16 23:03:28 CEST 2013

Hi Gavin,
I told you this in IRC already, but will do here again for the record.

You can always mail to this list here (or to bf-cycles) if you have
questions. We will be happy to answer them.
I don't know if you mailed your mentor or so, but reading your report,
it doesn't sound this way.
You can also join IRC of course, and can ask for help there.

Spending the second week already with understanding 1 or 2 macros and no
single commit is pretty thin.
 From your report it's also really hard to tell if you spend 30 minutes
on GSoC this week or actually 5 days.

So, please present results and ask questions here regularly, so we can
monitor a progress. What counts are commits, mails with questions,
design docs...

Best regards,
Thomas

Am 16.08.2013 22:31, schrieb Gavin Howard:
> All,
>
> My report is below and at:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Gdh/GSoC-2013#Weekly_Report_.239:_Cycles_Motion_Blur.
>
> == Weekly Report #9: Cycles Motion Blur ==

> ==== What I did this week ====
>
> I didn't get much done in coding this week. I was going through the
> kernel code a lot of the time, trying to put together macros.
>
> The good news is that I think that I am actually starting to
> understand Cycles' kernel. For example, the "kernel_tex_fetch" macro
> wraps a function that just grabs some memory, and the first argument
> is a macro that tells what that function is trying to grab. The macro
> "__objects" means that it is grabbing an object. So I believe I am
> starting to see what is going on.
>
> But yes, I admit that I haven't gotten much done. It is frustrating.
>
> ==== What I will do next week ====
>
> At this point, I need to figure out which sampling algorithm is best
> for per-vertex sampling. That will be my target for the next week, as
> well as starting to actually **work** on the kernel.
>
> ==== Questions ====
>
> Am I correct in my assumptions in the macros above?
>
> -- Gavin Howard, 16 August 2013

Thomas Dinges
Blender Developer, Artist and Musician

www.dingto.org