[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #9 Toolbar

Vincent Akkermans vincent at ack-err.net
Fri Aug 16 22:41:01 CEST 2013

== This Week ==

This week I've implemented a new top toolbar for the View3D editor. It is a conventional horizontal menu to provide better access to the many available commands in minimal space. The idea is that this frees up space from the left sidebar for tool options and custom panels.

Below the top toolbar will sit a horizontal icon shelf where users can add any operator by dragging or by right clicking an operator button and selecting the 'add to icon shelf' option. It is also possible to create custom panels in for the left sidebar (current toolbar). Both the icon shelf buttons and the custom panels are saved in the blend file.

== Next Week ==

* Finish UI for custom panels / menubars (removing and renaming of panels, drag and drop)

== Questions ==

The icon shelf relies on a fair number of operators being associated with icons. I've got two questions regarding this:

1. How should we go about creating these icons? What is a good process for doing this and who should we ask?

2. What is a good way of linking operator types to icons? I imagine the best way would be to extend the RNA properties of the wmOperatorType with an "icon" int.