[Soc-2012-dev] Students: important tips for succesful SoC completion

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon May 28 11:54:01 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Here's the roadmap to success!

Rewrite your original proposal in our wiki, in a way that:

- It has the mentor's full approval
  (But the more support from active developers you can get, the better. Do this in IRC)

- It's clear what you do! Make a great design doc for the rest of our team here.

- It's feasible!
  You know you can complete that in 2 months.

- The mentor can verify what you promised to do.
  The proposal should contain very simple and tangible deliverables, in a timeline.

- It always works!
  Make your planning is based on *always* having working code.

Sofar I haven't seen much convincing wiki proposals; but I haven't checked all of them yet though! Just make sure your docs are fully clear now, to prevent getting disappointed midterm reviews...

You also don't get away with weekly reports like "I have been studying XYZ". That's not efficient for a week's work (and not very believable either). You can study things while you do something useful you know!

Thanks,

-Ton-