[Soc-2012-dev] AssimpFBX - Week 5 Report

Alexander Gessler alexander.gessler at gmx.net
Sun Jun 24 17:41:31 CEST 2012

Sorry - I must have overread that, and I was away yesterday. Here it is:

What you did this week
======================

Original Plan:

a) Finish up animation during the weekend. I hope to complete this with a video showing some of assimp's sample skinned files running in Blender :-)

b) Finally get a first version of the FBX importer (basic geometry importing) up onto Github. I didn't do very much on the FBX importer yet (in fact, it's just a skeleton with basic parsing so far, no data extraction yet), so I'll plan Monday-Wednesday for this.

c) Merge with the latest Assimp version and update the copy in Blender SVN as well. Not much work.

d) Have FBX importing (to the extent it will be implemented at this time) over the assimp-blender bridge till next Friday. This is theoretically not much work, too (because basically it should work as soon as the updated assimp code is in but who knows .. ).

e) talk to / find more potential testers on BA.org

f) further document the structure of the FBX importer on the wiki. I don't plan to go much into detail unless it's requested. After all, the importer is, from Blender's point of view, third party code and will be maintained by external developers (uhm, me) :-) (also all assimp importers share a similar structure and there are already some other importers with characteristics similar to FBX).

Results:

a) this took two extra days, but I got it done and assimp import in Blender is feature-complete now and the entire assimp data structure is covered. On thursday I found another issue with armatures that prevents some assimp test files from being loaded correctly - I couldn't yet fix that one. I also added some smaller TODO entries which I'll fix while working on FBX in the next weeks. I also started a wiki page to track files from assimp's testsuite that don't pass yet.

b) since most of the week got eaten up by a), I did't get to this before today (Friday). What I have is up on github. For processing FBX syntax, I revamped the version I had before and switched to a more classical tokenizer+parser structure.

c), d) delayed both. Didn't get far enough with FBX. Also assimp 3.0 is about to be released, merging now would just cause double work.

e) done - there are quite a few people who expressed interest in testing.

f) done - see revised plan for integrating fbx into assimp and for dealing with different FBX versions and plan for integrating fbx into Blender.

Problems encountered

No significant problems.

Plan for next week

a) keep working on assimp FBX importer - this means finishing b), c) and d) from week 5.

b) bf_assimp bughunting

c) add bf_fbx module in Blender (frontend for FBX as described in my docs).

d) make sure there are bratwurst builds containing my work on graphicall. If far enough, ask testers to try out

Bye, Alex

-------- Original-Nachricht --------