[Soc-2012-dev] Weekly progress report #5 - Smoke Simulator Improvements

Miika Hämäläinen miika.hamalainen at kolumbus.fi
Sat Jun 23 01:32:53 CEST 2012

> What you did this week
I have been finishing up the the adaptive domain implementation from
previous two weeks. Lots of small but unexpected issues have appeared so
getting this ready has taken much longer than I first planned.

Here is the basic outline of development during this week:
* I extended domain workflow to also allow scaling on-the-fly. So
besides "adaptive resolution" and moving domain support you can now
rotate and scale domain - also during simulation. (Domain content
rotates/scales with the domain so it's nothing fancy but should be
useful in some cases.)
* Solved "sliding" issue with moving domain and scene sub-frames. Domain
geometry is now "locked" to last simulated location.
* Added rendering support for adaptive domain. Domain modifier now
generates geometry for the active simulation area. Volume textures have
a new setting that maps texture coordinates inside mesh bounds. (I'm
still not sure if this is the best way but it will do for now.)
* Simulation now uses scene gravity settings. This means it's possible
to change simulation gravity direction etc.
* Ported some improved obstacle code from "smoke2" branch.
* Lots of testing, bug hunting and figuring what parts of the code still
need changes to work properly.

It seems I will get this ready to commit during this weekend.

> 2) What you plan to do next week
I'm _still_ planning to work on smoke "Force Fields" integration... As
soon as I get this domain stuff done. :)