[Soc-2012-dev] Weekly progress report 4 - Sushi - Laplacian Smoothing

Alexander Pinzon Fernandez apinzonf at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 00:17:45 CEST 2012

Hi all
you can read in http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Apinzonf/progress
Week 4 Report[edit<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=User:Apinzonf/progress&action=edit&section=15>
]What I did this week?

I implemented a Laplacian smooth how a modifier tool.

   - I read Dev:Source/Modifiers/Adding<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Source/Modifiers/Adding>
   - I looked several MOD_...c files. In /source/blender/modifiers/intern
   - I did copy and paste from MOD_smooth.c and related files to
   MOD_laplaciansmooth.c
   - I Implemented Laplacian smooth algorithm in file MOD_laplaciansmooth.c,
   with base on my work in other file make in past weeks
   bmo_smooth_laplacian.c in /source/blender/bmesh/operators
   - I take a long time transforming the algorithm, since in the modifiers
   there is little topological information. And transform the DerivedMesh to
   BMesh would cause poor performance (Advice given by Genscher and
   ideasman_42).

[edit<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=User:Apinzonf/progress&action=edit&section=16>
]What you plan to do next week?

Adapt the modifier to work with Quads.

[edit<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=User:Apinzonf/progress&action=edit&section=17>
]Any roadblocks, difficulties, etc.

The modifier only works with triangulated meshes, MFace has 4 verts in some
cases, and I need work with 3 verts only or adapt the algorithm to work
with Quads.