[Soc-2012-dev] Precision Modelling tools - week 10

Luke Frisken l.frisken at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 20:05:33 CEST 2012

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Kellpossible/progress#Week_10_Report
see wiki for screenshot :)
Week 10 Report

*What I did this week: *

Wooo! Finally I have something that is useful this week! Parallel snapping
is working. There are some refactors that need to be done from lessons
learned. Quite a lot of support code and rewriting needed to get done in
order to achieve this milestone, and that's what I spent this week
finishing off. I also implemented a basic form of the state transition
diagram from last week, and got events hooked up properly.

*What's in store for next week? *
Currently this snap system is being set up so you pick a snap based on the
snaps available for the object you are editing. This works nicely if all
objects are same type, or you only want to snap to one type of object. But
often one will want to snap to many type of objects (bone, mesh, light,
camera, etc). To cover this case I'm proposing to add "point" snap. I'd
like to make it so the system checks whether the type of object supports
"point" snapping, which is basically vertex snap in its current form for
bones and meshes. If it doesn't, then the snap system falls back to using
the object's location as the snap point (think camera, lamp, etc).
Currently SnapSystem_default_object_handler is the limiting factor here.
I'd like to come up with a nice way to handle this, and snap picking (for
parallel and planar snap) within the system over the coming weeks. More
specific targets for next week are:

- re-implement face snapping and then do planar snapping. This
shouldn't take long.
- Fix, and implement drawing for snapping system.
- Get the menus working dynamically
- Implement perpendicular snapping (basically copy of parallel)
- improve on what I did this week based on feedback from Martin and users
- Expand the current state code for use with multi-snapping
- write and test a some of the intersection functions for multi-snapping

There are 3 more weeks left, I would like to have multi-snapping in a
working state soon in order to have time for writing the pen tool. I will
try to keep the pen tool simple and stable at first and slowly add
intelligent snapping features. That way it will hopefully be useful no
matter what stage I finish at