[Soc-2012-dev] Precision Modelling Tools - Week 7 Progress Report

Luke Frisken l.frisken at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 14:47:59 CEST 2012

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Kellpossible/progress#Week_7_Report

*Week 7 Report*

*What I did this week:*

* *This week has been an interesting experience. My goal was to get the new
snapping system properly integrated with the transform tools. The first day
I launched straight into it without a clear direction, or knowledge of what
I was doing. Thankfully, creating some diagrams (wiki version has one)
about how the existing system helped later on. It's tough work when, one
simple operation such as applying a snap to the transform is spread
throughout so much of the existing code (and in some hard to find places),
with plenty of corner cases. Designing the new snapping system that can
deal with this without sacrificing too much of it's ability to be re-used
elsewhere has been a real challenge. Thankfully I've managed to come up
with solutions with most of the problems. Also, I've worked on the
groundwork for the multi-snap feature. I wanted to get parallel snap done
this week, but I haven't, so it'll be catch up for the next couple of days.

*What's in store for next week? *
Get parallel snap, face snap, and planar snap done! Seek some user
feedback. These will take a while, because I've discovered quite a few
corner cases that will need dealing with, and I'm sure the blender users
will discover more!

*Roadblocks? Difficulties? *
this week's been good despite the apparent slow progress.