[Soc-2012-dev] AssimpFBX Final Report

Mitchell Stokes mogurijin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 21:41:38 CEST 2012

> I'm going to continue working on this, there are so many spots in the
> FBX importer that I would like to improve on. In the next weeks I'll
> tackle the armature issues, I also might start writing the exporter and
> integrate assimp on the export side as well (provided Campbell does not
> mind me working on replacing the Python export script).

My experience with the current FBX exporter is that it works rather
well (I can't remember it failing on me), and I don't know if it's a
good use of time to be re-writing a working exporter. I would think
that it would be a better use of time getting your importer working
well with skinned meshes. As of yet, I have not successfully imported
a skinned mesh using the FBX importer from Bratwurst. I keep getting
errors that tell me to check the console, but the console is empty. I
do get some data in the Info space (probably from BKE_reports). I am
trying to establish a Blender <-> MotionBuilder pipeline with FBX, and
I can provide some example files if you think they'd be useful.

Cheers,
Mitchell Stokes