[Soc-2012-dev] Multitouch Weekly Report

Nick Rishel nrishel at iupui.edu
Sat Aug 18 10:19:18 CEST 2012

Quick Points

   - This week
   - Restructuring around new idea of handling context
      - Still need to figure out how to manage different structs for
      passing context
   - Going forward
      - Next week: design document
      - no coding for a week, to acclimate to new college
      - schedule continued work based on first week's workload
      - Goal: Blender Conference, October 12-14, presentable project

Full report from the Multitouch
Wiki<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:PrototypeNM1/Weekly_Report#Week_13>
Week 13 Friday

Cleanup and restructuring around the new idea of handling context was my
focus this week. Stubs are now in place for handling Blender vs. BGE
contextual information, without the manager having to know anything about
the implementation of either.

One issue that I will need to reconcile is how the sharing of types are
managed, as BGE and Blender will have separate structs for passing their
individual contextual information, which can not be cross-included.

This week was a bit busier than normal, as I had learned right before
SIGGRAPH that I would be transferring to Purdue University; this entailed
all registration, housing, and other details having to be worked out this
week. Unfortunately my week was crowned by a mid-week cold that has
certainly dampened my productivity.
Summer's End

I believe GSoC begins the hard pencils down period next week, as well as
classes beginning for myself. This weekend, I will be making sure that I am
not missing any required deadlines. This would be a good excuse to write up
a formal design document that has been missing thus far for the project
(due to my implementation up to this point being largely experimental).
This will also give me a good opportunity to step back and get a good
overview of my project going forward.

As I stated before this summer, I will be continuing work with the intent
of maintaining and extending the code as a module owner. Unless told to do
otherwise, I will continue reporting both here and to the 2012 Summer of
Code listserv on my weekly progress. I have already contacted my mentor to
make sure that we stay in contact after the summer's end.

Next week will not likely see much work getting accomplished as I will be
adapting to my new environment. Afterward, I should have a better idea of
my workload and how much time I will be able to spend on this project in
the weeks going forward. The goal I am working toward is still to have a
demo-able item for this year's Blender Conference, come October. At this
time, based on what I have learned over the summer, I don't believe it will
include the Game Engine, but only Blender the 3D creation suite.