[Soc-2012-dev] Weekly progress report #11 - Smoke Simulator Improvements

Miika Hämäläinen miika.hamalainen at kolumbus.fi
Sat Aug 4 00:59:02 CEST 2012

> What you did this week

* I got some promising results with my emission "noise" tests. The idea
is to use Blender's procedural textures to add some animated variation
to surface emission instead of emitting evenly from whole surface.
Based on my tests this often adds more natural look especially to fire
simulations. Only issue I have is trying to make it easier to use. Right
now lots of time is needed just tweaking the settings and textures to
get convincing results, and I'd prefer that to be mostly automatic.
* I spent two evenings tracking down that mysterious high res smoke bug
I have been referring to in couple of previous reports. While it's
effect is fairly rare in trunk, it is much more common when adaptive
domain is used. Now I finally managed to find the cause and fix it with
Daniel. Fix was committed to trunk in r49485. :)
* There is one more serious issue left in smoke code that has been very
troublesome for fire simulations: The vertical velocity of any
simulation keeps increasing over time eventually making the smoke/fire
shoot out of domain in couple of frames. This becomes very apparent for
fire simulations due to increased heat. It's often visible in fire
simulations of just 250 frames.
For the end of the week I have been trying to solve this, so far without
breakthroughs. I can't really focus on fire improvements until some
solution is found. :(

> What you plan to do next week
I'm planning to continue solving remaining smoke simulator issues and
start preparing the code for trunk.