[Soc-2011-dev] Weekly progress report #11 - 3D Audio
nexyon at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 20:19:26 CEST 2011
1) what you did this week
I added a new speaker object type to do the 3D Audio animation (which is
the main target), after discussions with Ton and Joshua we decided to
set the start times of the sounds of those speakers in the NLA editor as
NLA strips. I got this working by Tuesday, but it was a bit annoying
having to add an Action just to be able to add an NLA strip, so Joshua
is going to implement a special strip type for this reason and I'm
waiting since Tuesday for this before I commit the actual playback
functionality and record a video about it. ;-)
So meanwhile I went back to non-main tasks, including merging, bugfixes
and lots of minor stuff.
One bigger thing I did was implementing Julius O. Smith's resampling
algorithm which basically enables us to remove the dependency of
libsamplerate, but I have to do some more intensive testing and create a
better filter than I used so far.
The last two days I worked on a separate mixdown functionality which was
quite exhausting due to the complexity of ffmpeg's API (have I ever said
that I hate it?), just compare the ffmpeg writer to the sndfile one...
But after all the mixdown functionality worked out just awesome, it lets
you select everything in detail (container, codec, sampleformat) and
only shows working/possible combinations (unlike the ffmpeg render
output panel...), yay!
2) what you will do next week
Wait for Joshua to complete the special NLA strips and then commit the
working speaker objects, also doing a demo video about it and thus
finishing the main target of the project.
Apart from that I'll continue working on other tasks, like waveform
display, improvements in several areas, resampling and maybe HRTFs if
there's enough time.
3) any problems that will require extra attention and the impact on
More information about the Soc-2011-dev