[Soc-2010-dev] status report (fancy input devices)

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 07:54:50 CEST 2010

week in review ---

Nevermind what I said last week, I did *not* fix the tablet mouse spasm bug!
I did manage to screw up Continuous Grab on MacOS. Thank heavens for version
control. Also, the tablet mouse isn't hitting the event queue as hard as
before, thanks to a simple test.

Added input fidelity hint to GHOST_System. Each platform's implementation
will use this hint to determine how many mouse/tablet events to capture and
send to the queue.

Set up a Windows build on the ridiculously fast workstation to my left. I
followed the win64 build instructions, but without success. The Windows 7
SDK is a supported tool set, correct?

Finished SpaceNav input conditioning, and now the image on screen exactly
matches my hand motions. There's a demo available on the project web site.
This and other prototype code is now under version control, filed under
"experimental".

Matt urged me to write up design docs for the NDOF system and mouse/pen
coalescing (hi-fi). The first document is now online, and the second will be
by the time most of you read this.

[invisible-cow.com/blender/soc]

next week ---

Fix or revert those Continuous Grab problems, while keeping the surrounding
good bits.

Implement the new NDOF event types and feed live SpaceNav input into
blender. The low-level details are already handled by the demo/prototype, so
this should go quickly.

Try to get ONE operator to respond to the 3D mouse in a reasonable way. The
most likely candidate is, of course, navigating the open range of the 3D
view.

Clean up detritus from old SpaceNav plugin scheme. 3D mice will work out of
the box, without plugins.

Activate hi-fi events on the Mac, as I intended to do this past week (until
I killed the code). People have been wanting to try this out, so I need to
deliver.

snags ---

The Windows build fail mentioned above. I need to get it working soon, so I
can add some Windows goodness to the mix.

I was having problems getting on IRC from the lab, but today the system
admin said "just use a web-based client." Problem solved. See you in
#blendercoders!

until next week,

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire