[Soc-2010-dev] Status Report

Konrad Wilhelm Kleine konrad at konradwilhelm.de
Fri Jun 4 09:56:03 CEST 2010

Hello,

I've been sick that last week and didn't do much. Thanks for all the
wishes!

Here's what I did so far:

1) Got to know the code base a bit better.
2) Looked at the particle paint mode and ported the stroke system to
Bishop's new stroke system. This involved some changes to the operator
types and the registered callbacks. The benefit is that the new strokes
integrate better and can be repeated plus you get tablet sensitivity and
stuff for free.
3) Looked at the next paint mode to be ported: GPencil. It seams that
Mike is also doing some work on this which is why I contacted him and
let him know that we are working on the same code.

For now I stopped working on gpencil for a while because it is much more
complicated than particle editing due to custom sessions and stuff. The
other reason is that Tom came up with a new task which is what I'm going
to work on in the next week: GLSL live preview for bump map painting.
Since multi-channel painting (e.g. specular, normal, diffuse maps) is
one of my topics for GSoC, Tom's tasks fits in nicely. I'm not sure if I
am tackling all multi-channels at once or start by focusing on bump maps
at first and build the rest around it once I get to know how to
visualize the bump map.

I have to understand Bump Mapping using GLSL a bit better and therefore
I am reading material and am coding some bits and pieces on my own. I
hope this will help me when it comes to integrate bump mapping into 3D
View. Also I can look at the BGE code I guess. First things first...

When reading what the other students did, I think I am behind schedule.
At the moment I think there is nothing I can do about it but to work
hard and get rid of my fear to fail.

-Konrad