[Soc-2010-dev] Status report for multires

Nicholas Bishop nicholasbishop at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 20:57:47 CEST 2010

Status report for July 17 - 23:
* Finished merging from trunk, although there are still some weird
issues to track down.
* Multires vpaint is working:
* * Note that most of this work is not committed yet, I need to check
over it first
* * I had to do some rethinking of the CustomData / Multires data /
CCGDM data interaction; what made sense for paintmasks did not
entirely work for colors. So mcuh of the work was just figuring out a
better design there, once that was done multires vpaint fell into
place pretty quick.
* * Overview of how I changed things:
* * * Instead of using CustomData to store multires disps for masks
and colors, I added a small CustomDataMultires struct. It's similar to
CustomData, but very very cut down and restricted to just what
multires needs. This avoids making lots of small changes to
CustomData, and clarifies the code.
* * * Made it possible to turn multires on and off for individual
CustomData layers. This is needed for memory reasons; e.g. a user
might want to sculpt a multires model but leave vertex colors at the
base level (not multires editable.)
* * * In order to keep everything in sync between CustomData,
CustomDataMultires, and the grid data, I've started using
CustomDataLayer type and name as a unique key.
* * Right now things are still sort of hacky, and multires vpaint is
limited in what it can do, but the basics are in place now.
* * Most importantly, new video! http://vimeo.com/13581943 (Vimeo is
apparently dealing with a large backlog today, but hopefully the video
will appear eventually.)

Plans for next week:
* Continue working on vpaint.
* * Multires vpaint needs the other brush types still (just mix working atm)
* * Enable partial redraw for vpaint, should be fairly easy since it
works same as sculpt
* * Continue enabling features for vpaint, like textures, symmetry, masking...

-Nicholas