[Soc-2009-dev] Raytrace api

André Pinto andresusanopinto at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 22:58:39 CEST 2009

===Week 6 report===

==This week==
* I got quite a few scenes through ba.org:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=159928
You can see latest runs on:
http://andresp.no-ip.org/soc2009/btest/html/test_real
http://andresp.no-ip.org/soc2009/btest/html/test_concept
The "text_rocks" and "Geko_TVC_ToolBoard_05" render incorrectly/crash.. but
that already happens on trunk2.5 (broken is taking care of it)
* "Remembering the past" slowdown was caused by a particles bug
*Coded an Object Level BIH
*Implemented Object Level SAH during build
*Tested a few heuristics (hint, last hint) and did some other improvements
(like tree building (although still not nlogn), raycast)
*Reverted the SUN & HEMI lights to have the same behaviour as trunk

==Next week==
Keep working on data structures
Look on SSE
Fix bugs

==Questions==
I was told gcc auto vectorization isnt that great and I would probably need
to code specific SSE (SIMD). Any pointers on this and how to integrate SSE
on blender are welcome.

Like:
would it be possible todo runtime switch between code? (this would mean
having a part of code compiled with -sse and during runtime decide which
version to execute?)
would it be possible to rely on auto vectorization and then having sse
binaries distributed?

==Schedule==
I would say some nice level of optimization as already been reached.
And all that's left is: more optimization! and bug fixing.

As I said before I will have a summer break from 20july to 31july, so this
is the last full week before that.