[Soc-2009-dev] Raytrace api

André Pinto andresusanopinto at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 23:01:27 CEST 2009

===Week 5 report===

==This week==
*Gathered some scenes (very few.. i was expecting to get a bigger community
feedback..) and made other machine ready for testing - Test stuff is done.
*Earlier on the week I also looked on how to generate false-color images (i
used UncleZeiv code as reference, but I get a crash when trying to enable a
new added SCE_PASS_*, since I wasnt able to debug it, I gave up on that
addition, thought it could be useful)
Anyway optimization phase starts now.

*coded a raytree-builder helper "class", to make it easier to build trees
(currently suports only generic implicit tree building)

*coded a BVH tree for raycasting (based on BLI_bvh), but more generic in the
aspect of trying build methods and data organization.

*profiled a few renders.. most time spend on ray-bb intersection

*tested latest build with the scenes
http://andresp.no-ip.org/soc2009/btest/html/test_real
http://andresp.no-ip.org/soc2009/btest/html/test_concept

fixed some bugs and found a big regression (happened after merging from
2009-06-20 until  2009-07-02) on the "remembering past" scene, which seems
to be related with some faces that are created and that may be "destroying"
the tree, but I am not sure about.

==Next week==
*Find the reason of "remembering the past" slowdown..
*Implement a BIH
*Try diferent build methods (SAH, both on bvh and bih)

==questions==
none

==shedule==
First 2 phases concluded.