[Soc-2008-dev] Week 5 report

Kent Mein kent.mein at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 21:22:04 CEST 2008

On Jun 27, 2008, at 11:50 AM, Davide Vercelli wrote:

> Next week
> ---------
> Last week I mentioned I wanted to distribute a couple of Python
> scripts so that people could test environment maps and area lights.
> But the scripts I've used so far are very hackish and Blender tends to
> slow down a great deal when dealing with thousands of lights in 3d
> view, especially oriented lights that require a lot of additional
> drawing; so right now I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble to polish
> them. As Kent suggested, it could be better to code some C code
> directly, maybe improving it later. I think I'm going to change my
> plans and will do this next week; support for specularity and diffuse
> lighting will come afterwards.

I just wanted to point out I didn't say it has to be done in c.
What's needed is a nice way for users to add/edit/modify these
large numbers of lights.  If you think c is the way to go with it
thats fine,
if you think python works better though go with that.

Also since you have your own tree, I say add them in now with maybe
a readme.
Don't feel bad about moving them later or removing
them and replacing them with other code.

Kent