[Soc-2008-dev] What are we supposed to say at Sunday meetings?

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Fri Jun 20 15:30:28 CEST 2008

Davide Vercelli wrote:
>   So, maybe there is some confusion about what we are supposed to say
> during Sunday meetings... Maybe someone can clarify?

Hi Davide,

It serves a few purposes:

* It makes students available for any questions people might
have about their project;

* it helps new developers integrate better into the
Blender community. I know you are on irc quite frequently,
but for some SoC students, this is the *only* time they
connect and meet their mentors and other developers
(in my opinion, this is a shame);

* it helps SoC students learn about what other people
are working on that might ultimately affect their projects.

We started the weeky reporting/meetings requirement after
the first year of SoC -- we had three students fail and
we wanted to fix that. Back then we didn't demand any
kind of regular reporting from students, which was a
big mistake. One thing that seemed to be clear: the students
that failed were usually people who weren't well integrated
into the development community. It is my hope that the
weekly meeting helps to prevent this.

I'm sorry if the meetings feel awkward, but the good
news is that you only have to put up with them for another
couple of months!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Regards,
Chris