[Soc-2007-dev] Anyone else a bit overwhelmed?

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Mon May 28 02:17:19 CEST 2007

Aaron Moore wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This is Aaron (Render API). I don't know if anyone else is in my
> position, being a beginner in both open source and blender
> development, but it's tough... I feel like I need someone to help me
> get oriented, I guess I should talk to Ton about that.
One way to learn it is to start laying out how your code will work, and
discuss it with people on IRC.  That way you get a better handle on
exactly what *you* need *from* blender, which might help to put things
in perspective.  Writing skeletons of the data structures and functions
you need can help too.

> I know what I need to do in theory, I just can wrap my mind around the
> existing source code. I've searched it with grep, browsed definitions
> with ctags, followed the execution of the render system and examined
> the memory layout with insight (gdb) and I'm still not really getting it.
Well the render system has its own set of data structures, separate from
the normal blender ones.  A good place to start would be studying them.

> I can only imagine that all beginners have a hard time starting.
>
> Also, I've not gotten any other emails except the one from Chris, so I
> don't really have a good concept of what it's for. Do I just mail all
> summer of code related emails to the list?
>
> Looking forward to getting more underway.

Yeah me too, its exciting :).

Joe

!DSPAM:2921,465a2aff36377078711773!