[Soc-2007-dev] Friday Status Report

Aaron Moore two.a.ron at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 09:14:14 CEST 2007

Hi everyone,

This week I:
  1. created a final design of the basic render api and got feedback
from bf-committers.
  2. installed linux, and got blender compiling. This was because I
cannot figure out how to compile .dlls with callbacks in them on
windows/mingw. The __declspec(dllexport) is set and it still will not
link.
  3. worked implementing the foundation of the plugin system, mostly
worked on finding the places where I will need to put my code. Looked
at how the texture plugin system was implemented, and read the
documentation of the new system.

Next week I plan to:
 1. code a working compiling version of the plugin system
 2. get the basic api approved. In this, I think it is important to
note that the design is not 100% final until incorporation into
blender. It is up for changes if really necessary after I've begun
implementing it. I need approval this week, though, so I can produce
code by midterm evaluations (less than 2 weeks).
 3. implement as much of the basic api as I can working through usage patterns:
    a. what is necessary to produce the most basic image? Work
forwards from RapiScene and backwards from RapiResult.
    b. what is necessary to reuse instances?

Problems:
 1. I can't get .dlls with callbacks to compile on mingw/windows where
I've been doing my development so far. I've solved this by switching
to linux, but it would be nice to know how to do that so that I could
work on my windows box, and make sure that my code is cross platform.
I've worked on the problem for a while, but I haven't had any luck, so
if someone knows how to do this, that'd be great.

Aaron