[Soc-2007-dev] It's Friday again!

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 00:01:51 CEST 2007

This week I finished a (very rough, buggy) implementation of DSM.  I had
a test render to show off, but photobucket.com is down (and I hate
imageshack).

Basically, blender's abuffer implementation is used to create a DSM.
Global material alpha per vlak (render face) is used for transparency.
The DSM is fully tiled; however, at the moment it only works if rendered
in one tile.  There's also a problem that (for some reason I can't
imagine) the DSM cannot be setup at the same place in convertblender.c
as normal shadow buffers.  At the moment their created/destroyed in the
same place as irregular buffers, which is very bad (since they then get
remade each render tile -- in fact, at the moment they only work in one
render tile).

Next week (well and this weekend, in fact right after I finish this
email) I'm going to do some debugging.  Work out the major bugs.
Eventually, I probably should render DSM maps in solid/transp layers
like the rest of the renderer does, to make blender's abufferer's life
easier memory wise.  I'm not sure if this is a priority though.

I also had an idea for blurred shadows I plan on implementing.  I
noticed a while ago, that if you duplivert a bunch of spots to a small
sphere, all pointing in the same direction, you get much better blurred
shadows (especially if each of them individually has a small amount of
blur going on).

Joe