[Soc-2006-dev] SoC weekly reporting

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sun Jun 25 14:34:03 CEST 2006

Hey,

Nicholas Bishop wrote:
> For non-topological operations, like weight painting, materials, etc.,
> they can all be done without switching levels, and unlike what happens
> when you paint on a subsurf mesh, _all_ the vertices of the model will
> be accessible to the tool, not just the ones in the original base
> mesh.

This would indeed be a very nice feature to have, and I admit that's going
to be much more complicated with a modifier. But editing or storing data
at a high multires level is not always practical. Like storing 30 shape keys
for a 1M poly mesh, or UV mapping at such high resolutions.

For sculpting and painting it doesn't really matter at what level they are used,
but for other operations editing at higher resolutions does become more
complicated, like anything that involves selection of vertices or faces, UV
editing, and mesh topology editing. Not being able to see the final mesh
while doing these things anymore, is a serious trade-off in my opinion.

I guess it's a matter of choice: more power but also some convenient features
lost, or less power but more compatible with existing Blender functionality.

Brecht.