[Soc-2006-dev] SoC weekly reporting

Nicholas Bishop nicholasbishop at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 08:58:11 CEST 2006

a) This week:
- Added a useful tool to sculptmode that allows the brush to take
better advantage of Blender's textures. First, for imported images,
they can now be tiled across the model. Even better, procedural images
can now take 3D model coordinates as input, making it easy to add
random detail to a model with noisy textures, or more structured
detail (e.g. with the wood texture.)
- Large overhaul of the retopo paint system; basically, it's
implemented the correct way now, as an editmode tool, rather than a
tool that just puts its buttons in the editmode palettes. Among other
things, this means that undo/redo now works as expected.

b) Next week:
Hmm, is there a next week in the program? My plans for next week may
actually be happening in more like two or three weeks from now, but
basically, I want to get back in to the multires code and do some
major overhauling. I'm still playing with the design on paper, but I'm
pretty sure I want to cut back on the amount of data that is editable
for each level. For example, it makes sense to have topology, color,
smooth/solid, vertex groups, and UV coords be editable only on the
first level; higher levels would obviously still have an editable
shape, but many other controls would be locked, in some way. Editmode
would still be accessible, because tools like
grab/scale/rotate/shear/etc are still useful.

-Nicholas