[Soc-2005-dev] Creating a CVS repository

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Tue Jun 28 18:00:04 CEST 2005

Hey gang,

Alright, I think I am almost ready to create
the cvs repository for the SoC sources.
Since we don't really know you guys too well
yet, it wouldn't be sensible to just give
you commit rights to the official blender
cvs repository.

I am planning to implement one of these two
possible schemes:

---

1) Create a 'soc' repository with one branch
that all of the SoC developers work on.
I do weekly merges from the official blender
tree to keep our tree in sync with current
blender development.

Benefits: I know how to do this already (I do this
for another tree); this gives 'real world' experience
of working on a collective source repository.

Drawbacks: Developers might get in each others way;
making a patch of any one developer's work becomes
more difficult.

---

2) Create a 'soc' repository with ten branches,
one per developer. I do ten weekly merges (one per
branch) to keep each branch in sync with current
blender development.

Benefit: Less conflict with other SoC-er's; easy to
make a patch at the end.

Drawbacks: Isolated development may not reflect
'real world' conditions; I've never done this before
so it's a bit experimental; might be quite a bit
of administrative work; the cvs commands that the
developers are required to use are more advanced.

---

So each scheme has it's benefits and drawbacks.
I am thinking that scheme one might be the way
to go (I think it would be less error-prone and
easier to administer), but I thought I would ask
if anybody else had an opinion on this? Is there
a better scheme not listed here?

Regards,
Chris