[Soc-2005-dev] Docs: design & implementation

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Jul 18 19:39:50 CEST 2005

Hi SoCers,

Hope you're all fine, whether or not behind with work. :)
What we now also really need to see in our Wiki is final design &
implementation documents, delivering a clear picture of what you are
going to work on.

Think of issues like;

- Where is your code going to be added in the tree
- What are the dependencies with (and changes in) existing Blender data
   (Like for SDNA, file saving)
- And related; what the dependencies are with existing Blender calls

- How is the user going to interact with it, which can be
   - in the window, using hotkeys
   - button panels
   - pulldown menus, toolbox

- Make a nice diagram with the flow of what will go on (events, data
changes, calls, whatever is applicable). We love good pictures!

- Describe what work you need help with, e.g. cannot complete or need
another developer to finish.

This all to help us reviewing your work, and check on proper
integration within Blender.
It definitely is the target of your work to become included in the
official bf-blender release, and therefore very important to get
endorsement & support of the rest of the team. :)
I'm also personal available for each of you for suggestions/review/help
with proper Blender architecture-compatible data design.

BTW: this is also a poke for the mentors here. Contact your student and
get these docs done! We expect ALL docs available before next sunday,
so we can review it during the weekly meeting as well.

It's really worth the effort to stop coding for half a day and write
down your ideas in a presentation! If you need examples of
docs/proposals, just browse in our wiki, or check the latest ones on
depgraph & armature;

http://www.blender.org/cms/Dependency_Graph.633.0.html
http://www.blender.org/cms/How_Armatures_work.634.0.html

All the best,