[Robotics] Ask for: link/append/import returns object(s) instance(s)

Pierrick Koch pierrick.koch at gmail.com
Tue May 24 06:52:47 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a Python method to link/append/import objects in Blender
that would give me back some info about what has been appended (in the best
case a list of the imported objects instances)...

For instance: let say that in a .blend file I have a car made of the main
structure which contain 4 wheels.
Code:
bpy.ops.wm.link_append(directory="/home/pierrick/atrv.blend/Object",
link=False,
  files=[{'name': 'ATRV'}, {'name': 'Wheel.4'}, {'name': 'Wheel.3'},
{'name': 'Wheel.2'}, {'name': 'Wheel.1'}])

if there was already an object called ATRV, my car will be renamed
ATRV.001,
it would be nice to get an instance of the objects, to avoid pasing by
bpy.data.object

Same with collada: it would be amazing if:
Code:
bpy.ops.wm.collada_import(filepath="/home/pierrick/atrv.dae")

could return something like:
Code:
you_just_imported = {
  'ATRV': [
    'Wheel1',
    'Wheel2',
    'Wheel3',
    'Wheel4'
  ]
}

Where the string are the real-name of the object in the Blender instance.
With .001 if there was already another object with the same name in the
scene.

In fact, I'm working on Robotics
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Robotics:Contents
https://github.com/pierriko/morse/blob/master/src/morse/builder/morsebuilder.py#L61

https://github.com/pierriko/morse/blob/master/examples/morse/scenarii/ros_example.py

http://www.openrobots.org/wiki/morse

Any idea? shall I open an issue for that?
Cheers,

Pierrick

= This message is cross-posted on
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20112 =