[Robotics] Force/torque/collision sensor

Anna Chiara Bellini annachiara.bellini at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 20:09:43 CEST 2011

Hello Gilberto,

I'll try to explain it better... I need to detect forces for two reasons:

1 - our robot is an UAV, and as it flies, it will get in touch with objects
and environment. On the robot I need to have a few force/torque sensors,
that will tell me the force/torque applied in that spot, and then we combine
the different values to get a resulting force that will get back to the user
using a force-feedback device.

2 - the robot features a grasp/manipulate tool, and I need to read the force
applied on it.

Now, my first idea is this: if I model the sensor as a small pivoting
damper, then I could read the position and pose of the damper to calculate
force and torque... but this is just a very basic idea, I don't know if it's
correct or if there are better ways. (Ideally, this should end up being a
MORSE sensor, but that would be a second step, hence why I posted the
question here instead on the morse mailing list)

I have also found this on the Bullet forum:
http://www.bulletphysics.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=&f=9&t=3637, but
I'm not understanding it completely, for instance I do not know what a
"proxy" object is and how to set it up.

Hope this is clear enough :-)

You are saying that the Bullet engine is not extremely precise... can you
tell me what are the limitations, or point me to a place where I can get
more information?

Thank you again

Anna Chiara Bellini