[Robotics] Feedback on MORSE installation instructions...

Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian adolfo.rodriguez at pal-robotics.com
Wed Jan 12 13:45:27 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Alexey Zakharov <alexey.zakharov at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Good evening Adolfo,
>
> Initially I tried ColladaDOM, but there was a linking problem, when one
> tries to use 1.4 and 1.5 libraries simultaneously. So I switched to
> OpenCollada. Together with my colleges we have contributed a cmake project
> for openCollada, http://code.google.com/p/opencollada/issues/detail?id=4.

Alexey,

I am aware of this difference, but I hadn't come across a use case where 1.4
and 1.5 files were mixed together. What you mention below is a very valid
point, and something to definitely take into account.

> In BRICS project our group deals with manipulation, 3d perception and
> navigation algorithms for mobile manipulators
> http://www.best-of-robotics.org/. I am using collada 1.5 as a robot
> description format and collada 1.4 for environment (google warehouse has
> great library of models). Usually I am using blender or google sketchup to
> compose a simulation scene and export it to the collada. Next I take this
> exported scene to test our algorithms, for example path planning for mobile
> manipulator.

I very much appreciate the comments below.

There are several Collada for robotics initiatives, the biggest and the most
> close one is AutomationML http://www.automationml.org/. OpenCollada was
> developed and is supported by one of  the companies from that initiative.
>
> collada_urdf <http://www.ros.org/wiki/collada_urdf> is a converter, I have
> used it to build Care-O-Bot 3 model. In general it works fine, except I had
> to fix geometry transformations after. They were somehow doubled.
>
> Their is also a GRASP project
> http://opengrasp.sourceforge.net/Features.html. They extended blender'd
> 2.4x collada loader towards kinematics support.
>
> OpenRave has lots of activities towards better collada support. It uses its
> own fork of the ColladaDOM loader.
>
> All these project overlap, because they are using main Collada data
> structured geometry and kinematics related. It seems, that OpenRave and
> AutomationML are using MathML. OpenRave has it's own profile to store
> sensors and algorithms parameters.
>
> There is a book you might be interested in
> http://www.amazon.de/Datenaustausch-Anlagenplanung-mit-AutomationML-Integration/dp/3642046738. Unfortunately it
> is available in German only.

Falling victim of the language barrier here ;).

I hope this post serves other list readers as much as it served me. Best
regards,

Adolfo.