[Robotics] GSoC proposal on COLLADA Animation support

Herman Bruyninckx Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be
Wed Apr 13 20:52:08 CEST 2011

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011, Alexey Zakharov wrote:

> 2011/4/12 Sukhitha Jayathilake <pr.jayathilake at gmail.com>
>       Hi,
>
>       I'm an applicant for GSoC this year for Blender. I've started
>       working on blender COLLADA at the end of last year. And for GSoC
>       I've prepared a proposal
>       to enhance COLLADA animations support for Blender.
>
>       http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/sukhitha/1
>
>       It's the proposal review period and I would like some feedback from
>       the robotics community of blender on my proposal. Any suggestion
>       will be
>       highly appreciated.
>

> Sounds great! Would be nice if  you could improve export/import support for
> different kind of mesh primitives. For example, in Blender COLLADA exporter the
> geometries are always exported as a set of the polygons with only
> three vertices for each polygon. In such case exported file contains lots
> of useless information, like the number of vertices for each polygon (which is
> always 3!). A basic improvement is to add support for exporting meshes as
> triangles and polygons. More advanced extension could be to add support for
> triangle-fans and triangle-stripes.

Another "nice to have" feature is that one could export any subset of the
full Collada information, e.g., individual meshes, or frames, etc., while
still having an URI that explains to which complete model the individual
submodels belong. That complete model could then just consist of importing
all the individual files.

> Best regards,
> Alexey
>
>       PS - Thanks to Benoit Bolsee for the suggestion

Thanks Benoit! :-)

Herman

>       Thanks all,
>
>       Cheers!
>       --
>       Sukhitha Jayathilake,
>       Undergraduate,
>       Computer Science and Engineering,
>       University of Moratuwa,
>       Sri lanka.

   K.U.Leuven, Mechanical Eng., Mechatronics & Robotics Research Group
     <http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~bruyninc> Tel: +32 16 328056
   EURON Coordinator (European Robotics Research Network) <http://www.euron.org>
   Open Realtime Control Services <http://www.orocos.org>
   Associate Editor JOSER <http://www.joser.org>, IJRR <http://www.ijrr.org>