[Robotics] GSoC proposal on COLLADA Animation support

Alexey Zakharov alexey.zakharov at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 10:52:37 CEST 2011

2011/4/12 Sukhitha Jayathilake <pr.jayathilake at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> I'm an applicant for GSoC this year for Blender. I've started working on
> blender COLLADA at the end of last year. And for GSoC I've prepared a
> proposal
> to enhance COLLADA animations support for Blender.
>

> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/sukhitha/1
>
> It's the proposal review period and I would like some feedback from the
> robotics community of blender on my proposal. Any suggestion will be
> highly appreciated.

Sounds great! Would be nice if  you could improve export/import support for
different kind of mesh primitives. For example, in Blender COLLADA exporter
the geometries are always exported as a set of the polygons with only
three vertices for each polygon. In such case exported file contains lots
of useless information, like the number of vertices for each polygon (which
is always 3!). A basic improvement is to add support for exporting meshes as
triangles and polygons. More advanced extension could be to add support for
triangle-fans and triangle-stripes.

Best regards,
Alexey

PS - Thanks to Benoit Bolsee for the suggestion