[Robotics] Image extraction from camera

Boris Duran boris at yodir.com
Fri Jul 16 11:40:08 CEST 2010

Hi everybody,

I posted this message in Blender's forums first but now I realize that i
should have asked the blendered roboticist first. Anyway, here it goes:
I would like to get the content of what my camera is watching, I guess
an RGB matrix like in a real camera.
I'm modelling a small mobile robot with a camera on top of it, so it'll
see the different colored boxes and balls in his world through its
camera. Now, how do I read the content of that image in the camera.
In a real robot, the camera provides a matrix with let's say 320x240
pixels for each color channel, usually 3 channels RGB or HSV. Once that
matrix is acquired the rest of the computer vision stuff can be applied
to control the robot.
Is it possible to get this kind of information in Blender's camera???

Any help, comments and suggestions on how to solve this problem will be
greatly appreciated.

Boris