[Robotics] Verson Control of .blend files

Gilberto Echeverria gilberto.echeverria at laas.fr
Fri Nov 13 16:57:30 CET 2009

Hi Herman,

On 11/09/2009 08:00 PM, Herman Bruyninckx wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, Gilberto Echeverria wrote:
>

>> We are now a bit further in the development of the openRobotSimulator on
>> Blender, working with two developers.
>>

> That sounds great! Could you share something about the functionality you
> have added, how it is being done, how it can be used, where you still want
> to go, etc? One of the things that were mentioned some months ago on this
> list was your goal to be able to get the images from several cameras out of
> Blender; have you made progress on this topic?
>
> Herman

A bit of progress report:
We have a small library of robot components with which to build a land
based robot and an helicopter.
The current aim is to use the simulator to test the coordination of
several robots trying to accomplish a task, such as rescue of survivors
in a disaster area or localization of other targets.
The library is not well polished enough, and we are working on setting
up a repository using Launchpad, but still figuring out the best way to
go about it. Concurrent work on .blend files is posing a problem, even
if we are only two developers now.
Regarding the cameras, it is possible to use several of them at once, if
no data conversion is done with them. That is, if we export images in
the native format used by Blender: a single string with the image
encoded as chars with the RGBA values.
I tried converting the data to other formats within Blender, but that
made the simulation too slow.

We are aiming to have a usable example of the simulation in a practical
scenario by mid december.

Regards.
Gilberto