[Robotics] Verson Control of .blend files

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Mon Nov 9 23:22:55 CET 2009

Production team use library blend files: many small blend containing
only 1 item.
As you guessed, merging is not possible with blend file, so no concurent
access is possible.
If you have large script on which concurent access should be possible,
my suggestion is that you put them outside the blend file. Blender
allows to use external files for scripts. The script file can then
support concurent access and merging under SVN.

Regarding the name conflict when appending items, you should use link
item and not append. This keeps the name. Trouble with linked item is
that you cannot parent them but I indicated on this list a way to work
around that using Dupligroup instantiation that should give equivalent
results.

I any case I suggest you have a look at this software:
 http://sidedish.atmind.nl/

It should be adapted to your situation: it allows to visualize
complicated connections between blend files.

Regards,
Benoit