[Robotics] robotics example

Breno Carneiro Pinheiro brenodee at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 20:01:10 CET 2009

Hi folks I started learning a little bit about YARP and its integration with
Blender.

I decided to run some examples like the one posted here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=Robotics:Middleware/YARP/Python_Simulator_Example&useskin=monobook#Image_grabbing_and_output_with_YARP
but a I got a lot of difficulties to runs it properly. I'm gonna explain
what I did:

1 - Yarp 2.2.5 installation: passed ok! I compiled as suggested here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Robotics:Middleware/YARP and everything
looks fine!

2 - Yarp check is ok!

3 - Yarp read and write is ok!

4 - I set the variable  BLENDER_ROBOTICS_ROOT to
/my-path/blender_robotics/scripts where are place the files:

check_visibility  finalization  image_grabber_yarp  initialization
middleware  object_pick  object_selection  Yarp_python_simulator.blend

and the middleware dir.

5 - Then I downloaded the  Yarp_python_simulator.blend that's place in
another dir.

6 - I open this .blend file with blender 2.49.

7- Then I followed the instructions on the pege mentioned. The instructions
are:

To test that:

   - Start yarp server
   - Launch yarp read /reader
   - Launch the GameEngine (key P)
   - Connect them with yarp connect /blender_simu/cog_map /reader

everything seems to be ok until I press key P at blender environment. When I
do it a error message appear repeatedly:

Python script error from controller "image_grabber#CONTR#6":
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "image_grabber_yarp", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named yarp
Python script error from controller "image_grabber#CONTR#6":
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "image_grabber_yarp", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named yarp
Python script error from controller "image_grabber#CONTR#6":
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "image_grabber_yarp", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named yarp
Python script error from controller "check_visibility#CONTR#5":
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "check_visibility", line 4, in <module>
ImportError: No module named middleware.yarp

 Then if I execute the yarp connect /blender_simu/cog_map /reader

I got the message: Cannot find port named /blender_simu/cog_map

Besides that errors I would like to know why I can't edit the scripts at
Yarp_python_simulator.blend
file. I mean when I try to change something like scriptRoot and ask for
save  It asks me: CreateNewFile and then say that is unable to save the
file.

Could anybody give me some help on all that issues?

Thanks a lot!!
--
Breno Carneiro Pinheiro