[Robotics] Code repository?

Daniel Monteiro Basso daniel at basso.inf.br
Sat Apr 18 14:00:57 CEST 2009

Hello,

I'm quietly following the discussion, mainly because of lack of time to
be more active. So before I make my point, let me briefly introduce myself.

My main interest is Strong-AI research, my near term goal is to have a
simulated cat body with muscles as actuators and proprioceptive,
vestibular and touch sensors. During my master thesis development, I
made a tool for robotics simulation (which I called 'Phi',
http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~dmbasso/phi ) that allowed me to play with a
model of central pattern generator (the neural circuits in our spinal
cord responsible for the base control of repetitive motion, such as
walking). Some videos are available at http://vimeo.com/user925371/videos .

When I started using Blender for modeling the new simulated cat's body,
I realized it would be far better to adapt Blender to my needs than to
continue Phi development, so it halted. But then I got a job and
everything halted, because of (yeah, you guessed) lack of time. So far
my cat looks like this:

If you are wondering, yes it was modeled after real cat bones. And no,
no animals were harmed for this development. :)

Well, to my point then: regardless of where the repository will be
located, I vote for a distributed revision control system, such as
Launchpad's bazaar or Linus' git. After I switched from cvs (oh, the
torture) I used bazaar for sometime (Phi's repository, as you may have
noticed) and it is great. But slow. That made me switch to git, that I
happily use for two+ years now. It is simple, fast, free, and the
distributed nature of it would highly contribute to our use case, in my
humble opinion.

So if LAAS already has the infrastructure, it seems to be a very good
option.

Cheers,

Daniel