[Robotics] YARP + Blender

Séverin Lemaignan severin.lemaignan at laas.fr
Tue Apr 14 11:22:49 CEST 2009

Hello!

Thanks for your interest and valuable offer :-)

We (at LAAS) are definitely looking forward having YARP as a door to the
outside world for the simulator. We already use it in several European
projects and it's something we will need in Blender as well.

Since YARP does have complete Python bindings, it shouldn't be very
complicated to have quickly a first prototype of a /blender_simu port
outputing the position of a cube, for instance, from the GameEngine.

The second step is probably to build a (relatively) simple mobile robot
(for instance 4 wheels, differential steering, a laser scanner, a
camera, a localisation device) controlled by an external YARP application.

A third step could be the set up of a more complex robot (with complete
kinematics, like a humanoid -> iCub).

If you want to work on some prototypes and release some sample scripts,
or just add some pointers to useful resources on how to set up a YARP
environment with Blender, I created an empty page on the Wiki:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Robotics:YARP

One of the things I would like to implement quickly is a package
management system integrated into Blender to store various Python
scripts & actuators/sensors/models useful for robotics and easily
reusable by everyone.

Scripts for YARP, ROS or other middlewares would be some of the base
packages required to communicate with the simulator.

Cheers,
Séverin